If you’ve got a 9-5 job that you love and never take work home with you, then stop reading right now. But, if you want to get out of your 9-5 rut, read on my friend, read on.
If you think working 37.5 hours a week is going to get you your dreams, you’re wrong. If you think working 37.5 hours will draw you closer to your ultimate vision for yourself and your life, let me tell you it’ll never happen. If you want greatness, if you want freedom (career freedom, financial freedom, creative freedom), then you need to work harder, smarter, longer than anyone else.
You need to RISE ABOVE the clutter that is everyone else and start getting noticed.
Ever hear those people who say “Oh, I always wanted to write a book,” or “I always wanted to be a photographer,” “learn another language,” “make more money,” etc. BUT then they do NOTHING about it??
Don’t be those people. Don’t look back years from now wishing you had done more, achieved more, became more. Working 9-5 on your dream is not enough. I’ve had friends that put 40 hours of work in 3 days. Guess what? They’re a lot closer to their dreams than everyone else.
You need to go ALL IN, ALL THE WAY, ALL THE TIME.
- Saying “no” to a lot of things and a lot of people. (“No, I can’t go to the movies with you, because I’m working on my dreams; NO, I can’t go out for dinner/have tea/coffee/drinks with you, because I’m working on my business”) Get it?
- Getting rid of guilt because you said “no” to someone. (Stop feeling guilty for putting yourself first. You need to take care of yourself FIRST, then you’ll have the resources, time and energy to help others.)
- Recognize you need to work EVERY DAY on your dreams. You need to allocate every, single spare minute you have on getting closer to your dreams.
- Forget about “balance,” …for now. You can’t be worried about leading a balanced life when you haven’t done anything great yet. Start working on being great, that’s your priority, not balance.
- Recognize your time wasters. Did you spend more time cooking/eating/cleaning/watching TV/shopping/gossiping than you did on your dreams? Then you’re WASTING YOUR PRECIOUS TIME. While you’re wasting time, you better believe someone else is maximizing their time and getting ahead.
At the end of every day, evaluate yourself. Score yourself. Did you waste time today? Were you average? OR did you maximize your time? Did you move forward with your vision, your career, your dreams? It’s one or the other. Which one is it for you?